- 1 sleeve (approx. 40) saltine crackers $0.30
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter $1.49
- 1 cup (packed) dark brown sugar $0.32
- 1 (12 oz.) bag semi-sweet chocolate chips $2.15
- ½ cup shredded coconut (optional) $0.37
- Line a baking sheet with foil. Arrange the saltine crackers in a single layer on the baking sheet. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- In a medium pot, melt the butter and brown sugar over medium heat. When the butter begins to melt, give it one stir to combine the brown sugar and butter. Continue to heat the mixture, without stirring, until it comes to a boil. Once it reaches a boil, set a timer and let it boil for three minutes.
- After three minutes, carefully pour the mixture over the saltine crackers. If needed, gently spread the mixture with a butter knife until all of the crackers are covered. Place the toffee covered crackers in the oven and bake for 6 minutes.
- After six minutes of baking, turn off the oven and carefully remove the baking sheet. Once the bubbles subside, sprinkle the chocolate chips evenly over the top. The heat from the toffee should begin to melt the chips. Place the baking sheet back in the warm oven for 1-2 minutes or until the chocolate chips are glossy (this means they are melted). Spread the melted chips over the surface with a spatula or butter knife.
- If topping the chocolate with coconut or other nuts, sprinkle them over the melted chocolate and gently press them in. Allow the candy to cool at room temperature until hardened. Break the candy into pieces and EAT!
STEP BY STEP PHOTOS
First arrange the saltines on the baking sheet in a single layer. You don’t need to spray the foil with non-stick spray because there is enough butter in the toffee to keep it from sticking (just don’t think about that when you eat it). Also, begin to preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
Next, begin to heat the butter and brown sugar in a pot. When the butter is mostly melted, give it a stir to mix the brown sugar and butter. Then allow it to come to a boil (without stirring) over medium heat.
It should look like this when it begins to boil. As soon as it comes to a full boil, set a timer and let it boil for three minutes. This is toffee
After three minutes, carefully pour the toffee over the crackers.
Next, bake the toffee covered crackers in the 400 degree oven for 6 minutes. This further hardens the toffee. It will be bubbling like crazy.
After 6 minutes, carefully remove it from the oven. It will be bubbling and VERY HOT.
Once the bubbles subside, sprinkle the chocolate chips evenly over top. Place the tray back in the oven (oven is turned off but still warm) for one or two minutes or until the chocolate chips turn glossy.
Then use a spatula or butter knife to spread the melted chocolate evenly over the top.
If you’re going to top the chocolate with coconut or nuts, sprinkle them on top when the chocolate is still melted then gently press them in.
Allow the candy to cool to room temperature (this is the HARDEST part) so that the toffee can harden. Use the refrigerator at the very end if needed. Once the toffee has set, you can break it into pieces and eat!